[cmake-developers] Status of pre-compiled headers

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jun 27 11:09:43 EDT 2016

On 06/24/2016 12:19 PM, Oleh Kravchenko wrote:
> As far as I can see from issue tracker and the mail list archives of
> "precompiled headers" feature we are still struggling for solution.
> https://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=1260
> https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/issues/1260

Yes.  Currently we support some primitives that make it possible to use
PCH in some circumstances but it is not a first-class feature.  One
reason is that we (upstream) have never needed it for our own projects.

> I'm ready to contribute to development, but have not idea where shall I start :)
> I have in-depth knowledge of C/C++ development for different platforms
> (Windows, Linux), (arm, x86, amd64) and GCC/MSVC compilers.

Great, thanks for stepping forward.

The first step is to propose porcelain (e.g. a target property) to
enable and configure PCH settings, along with examples of how that
would map to the underlying generator behavior.  We need to find an
abstraction that works well for the way each native toolchain does
PCH.