[cmake-developers] Review request: extract-cmMessenger branch

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 14:17:34 EDT 2016

Tobias Hunger wrote:
> Forcing messages into one consistent format will be a pain, agreed, but
> continuing to add messages in whatever form the developer likes at the
> time of writing the code is even worse. CMake has a lot of different error
> message styles!

This is something my branch addresses in part, which is why I drew attention
to it in the context of the daemon.

> If you were to unify on e.g.
>
> CMake Error at FILE:LINE (OPTIONAL_EXTRA_INFO):
> MULTILINE_MESSAGE_WITH_INDENT_ENDING_IN_TWO_NEWLINES
>
> then you will probably hit existing code paths in IDEs.

I don't think that's possible for all messages (not all messages have file
or line information).

However, that's not a problem when messages are delivered through the
daemon, so I suggest that

 https://github.com/steveire/cmake/tree/extract-cmMessenger

and the daemon itself are good places to direct your attention to improve
this situation.

Thanks,

Steve.