[cmake-developers] Review request: extract-cmMessenger branch

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 04:18:11 EDT 2016

On 06/09/2016 09:49 AM, Daniel Pfeifer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 10:42 PM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have pushed a extract-cmMessenger branch to my clone:
>>
>>  https://github.com/steveire/CMake/commits/extract-cmMessenger
> I have rebased it to master and cherry-picked some minor changes.
> Once those minor changes land in master, I will rebase again and then
> have a closer look at the individual commits.

Cool. I did some work rebasing it yesterday too. It changed a bit due to
the recent cmListFileBacktrace changes, and in the end the cmMessenger
class is much simpler.

>> * Make it possible to make add first-class handling of messages about
>> missing packages (for example) to cmake-gui by making methods on
>> cmMessenger virtual and subclassing
> That sounds useful. But long term, I would rather base ccmake and
> cmake-gui on top of the daemon.

Sounds interesting.

> What I would like to have, is separate subclasses for gcc-style and
> msvc-style messages. In gcc-style, messages look like this:
>
> <file_name>:row:column: error: <text>
>
> In msvc-style, messages look like this:
>
> <file_name>(row,column): error: <text>
>
> This would make it easier to jump to the location in IDEs (and
> powerful editors).

Hmm, some existing clients (KDevelop) parse messages in the form they
are already in. They would break if all message formats were changed
substantially. Having the above behavior be dependent on some command
line option or environment variable wouldn't be great either.

The impact of this would need to be assessed.

> Very useful overall. I'll write more once I had a closer look.

Great, thanks for that!

Steve.