[cmake-developers] Developer tasks - Refactoring

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 08:15:51 EDT 2016

On 05/19/2016 11:27 PM, Daniel Pfeifer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 12:12 AM, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 1) Make cmLocalGenerator not inherit cmOutputConverter
>> * Change enums like cmLocalGenerator::START_OUTPUT with sed.  See
>>
>>    https://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=eac15298
>>
>>   for a similar sed command to achieve this.
>>
>> * Remove inheritance. Implement Convert() methods in cmLocalGenerator for
>>   source compatibility which instantiate and use a cmOutputConverter as in
>>
>>    https://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=4d8b79ad
> That may change behavior because the LinkScriptShell member may have
> the wrong value.
> I am currently digging deeper.

Yes, that looks like it requires deeper digging.

In commit v3.3.0-rc1~29^2~1 (cmState: Host some state from the
cmGlobalGenerator., 2015-05-24) I moved other things which are used by
Convert() APIs to cmState, but the LinkScriptShell didn't seem to belong
there.

I was hoping the callers which need LinkScriptShell would manage that
state themselves somehow, but it would take some deep digging and
probably refactoring of the makefile generator to do that.

Did your digging turn anything up?

Thanks,

Steve.