[cmake-developers] CMake alternative language

Saša Janiška gour at atmarama.com
Wed Jan 13 08:27:34 EST 2016

On Sri, 2016-01-13 at 13:14 +0000, Charles Huet wrote:

> I don't think this is a dumb question, actually this is part of the
> problem I think would be resolved whit a new language.
>
> The barrier of entry to using CMake is too high in my opinion, and I
> think using an existing language would lower it *a lot*.

Personally I'm determinant to use CMake, mostly due to its maturity and
CPack's features, but recently stumbled upon Meson http://mesonbuild.com/)
build system whose goal is "to be both extremely fast, and, even more
importantly, as user friendly as possible."...it also uses Ninja instead
of Make as backend.

Otoh, I believe that main problem with CMake is lack of quality docs - even
Mastering CMake book has constantly very bad reviews.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who sees inaction in action, and action in inaction,
is intelligent among men, and he is in the transcendental position,