[cmake-developers] CMake daemon for user tools

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 15:29:26 EST 2016

Brad King wrote:
> The proposed daemon could help IDEs integrate with the CMake language
> without re-implementing it, but we may not need such heavy infrastructure
> for IDEs just to list targets and sources and allow users to edit them.

Do you agree that that's an orthogonal use-case (add file to target) to what
is being proposed (help me debug my cmake files)?

If you agree that the declarative spec is orthogonal, then do you still have
some other objection 'in principle' to the daemon approach?

> I'm concerned that the memory usage of a daemon implementing the proposed
> capabilities may be too large to be practical (at least without a major
> redesign of certain structures that tend to duplicate substrings, or
> some kind of out-of-core approach).

If we reach a point where the memory consumption issue is the only blocker I
can try to trap Milian in a room one of these days to help fix it.

Thanks,

Steve.