[cmake-developers] Adding source files not built by targets to CMake project

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Nov 20 10:43:58 EST 2015

Hi,

As far as I know this is not possible, but I would love for someone to
point out the CMake invocation I missed. More and more we use a
mixture of languages in projects, such as in VTK where we have Python
wrapping, and tomviz where we have a number of algorithms implemented
in Python (and I am looking at adding some metadata files that are
JSON, others are using XML).

I would like to see these files listed in Qt Creator (or insert your
IDE of choice here). Is there anyway to do this, knowing that these
files are not going to be built for a target (or compiled in any way).
Any trick I am missing to make this work? When I include a .cmake file
I see it is added, so I feel like there is some plumbing already in
place to feed through these source files that are not built by
targets.

Sorry if this came up already, my Google skills couldn't find anything...

Thanks,

Marcus