[cmake-developers] Extracting target metadata, IDE integration

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 11:31:17 EDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 3:15 PM, Ben Boeckel <ben.boeckel at kitware.com> wrote:

>> > Can this be a list?
>> It's 1 output per target, no?
>
> Not on Windows with .dll and .lib splits.

So it needs to be a list:-)

>> > Running/Debugging is a bit tricky again: All the information used for
>> > linking the binaries is gone. So there is no way to figure out which
>> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to be set or anything. There also seems to be no
>> > information where files are going to get installed to. Would it be
>> > possible to add that information?
>> I ignore it, on the other hand I'm quite a n00b when it comes to cmake
>> codebase and internals. I'm sure if somebody knows where to get that
>> information, he is reading this mailing list. (hello)
>
> CMake has options for RPATH for the relevant platforms. By default,
> binaries have the RPATH set for the build tree. Relevant CMake target
> properties (there are variables to set default values as well):
>
>   - BUILD_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH
>   - SKIP_BUILD_RPATH
>
> Without SKIP_BUILD_RPATH set, LD_LIBRARY_PATH should not be necessary
> for running targets.

We try hard to have Creator "do the right thing", not "usually do the
right thing". That may sound arrogant, but it is simply that we found
that devs are highly suspicious folks: If something is not absolutely
reliable they won't use it:-)

Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH will not hurt, even when unneeded, will it? So
we should set it, just in case somebody tries to shoot himself into
the foot by setting SKIP_BUILD_RPATH:-)

Best Regards,
Tobias