[cmake-developers] [MODERN] CMake 3.3 vs Qt 5.5 vs MSVC2015

James Johnston JamesJ at motionview3d.com
Thu Jul 23 11:24:25 EDT 2015

That sounds horrible - asking a user to manually run Windows Update.  But
Windows Update packages don't have to be installed ONLY by way of visiting
Windows Update manually.

I have yet to mess with this stuff myself (but will be soon).  But in the
meantime, FTA:

"Currently these MSU packages are installed as part of the VCRedist
installation. In a future build of Visual Studio 2015, these MSU packages
will also be distributed separately as part of the Universal CRT SDK and
made available for download on support.microsoft.com."

So you get this just by running VCRedist - or, if you don't use VCRedist,
you can get this by running the MSU packages directly (once said SDK becomes
available - if it isn't already available - the blog is 4 months old).  Both
can be accomplished as part of a setup program.  Unfortunately, I suspect
the MSU packages can't be invoked from / nested inside a Windows Installer
MSI like how the VC++ merge modules were done (and how we currently do); I
plan to hack apart VCRedist to try to see what they are doing...

Best regards,

James Johnston