[cmake-developers] Listing all targets

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jul 20 09:30:29 EDT 2015

On 07/17/2015 06:05 PM, David Cole via cmake-developers wrote:
> Attached is a patch file of my first attempt. I can iterate some more
> on this (better testing, add docs, clarify existing docs, address
> anybody's comments, submit to stage) next week. Attached now in case
> anybody wants to try it out over the weekend.
[snip]
>> I think the see also is relevant because it points to another way to
>> get to a whole different set of "properties". Perhaps what they're
>> looking for when they stumble upon get_cmake_property is actually
>> target properties, which are only accessible via get_property.

get_cmake_property is get_property with the GLOBAL scope, except that
it looks like the special VARIABLES, MACROS, and COMPONENTS properties
are hard-coded into get_cmake_property incorrectly.

This should all be moved over to cmState::GetGlobalProperty and the
new TARGETS property added there.  That method already has special
handling for a few other properties too.

Also the documentation of get_cmake_property should be updated to
mention "global" properties.