[cmake-developers] Making kwsys a proper library

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Fri Aug 14 10:27:12 EDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 20:36:55 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> There is concern in Fedora that the kwsys code has become too large to
> be an acceptable copylib.  However, as cmake is constructed at the
> moment it would be a huge undertaking for the Fedora packagers (mostly
> me) to remove it downstream.  So I'm asking if there is any support
> upstream for making kwsys a proper library?

Not right now. The thing is that each library which uses it mangles all
of the symbols individually by configuring the source files, so without
rewriting how kwsys is *used* in all of its downstream projects (cmake,
VTK, ITK, and likely others), kwsys would likely have to be shipped as
source anyways.

> https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/555

I commented here that castxml is more than a "random xml app" but will
be needed for an updated ITK (at least; other projects might migrate to
it from gccxml as time goes on).

--Ben