[cmake-developers] [CMake 0015687]: target_include_directories(): SYSTEM option does not seem to work when targeting Xcode.

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Fri Aug 7 04:07:36 EDT 2015

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=15687
Reported By:                Adn
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15687
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2015-08-07 04:07 EDT
Following the documentation for target_include_directories():
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/v3.0/command/target_include_directories.html

We tried to provide the SYSTEM argument to target_include_directories(), to
prevent a third party library  to issue a lot of warnings. We expected it to put
the library's include path on the C++ flags line, behind "-isystem", but it had
actually no effect, still using this path as if SYSTEM was not given.

We attached in "Steps To Reproduce" the minimal example reproducing this problem
in our environment:
*CMake v3.3.0 (also tested with v3.0.0 for the same results)
*OS X 10.9.5
*Xcode 5.1.1

There is a mailing list thread discussion this issue, that seems to point to the
incriminated code:
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2015-August/061322.html

Steps to Reproduce:
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.0)

find_package(Boost 1.49 COMPONENTS)

project(system_dependencies)
add_executable(${PROJECT_NAME} main.cpp)

target_include_directories(${PROJECT_NAME} SYSTEM PUBLIC ${Boost_INCLUDE_DIRS})

Additional Information:
There is also a Stack Overflow question:
http://stackoverflow.com/q/31722426

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change