[cmake-developers] Add command line options for deprecation message control

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Aug 3 10:22:07 EDT 2015

On 08/03/2015 09:43 AM, Domen Vrankar wrote:
> Since CPack only gets CPACK_* variables from CMake we can't use
> CMAKE_SUPPRESS_DEVELOPER_ERRORS to revert back to warnings.

The mistake is that message() now treats warnings as errors
unless explicitly suppressed.  While normal CMake runs suppress
it by default, script mode and CPack have no such initialization.
I've inverted the logic to require the mode to be explicitly enabled:

 cmake: Do not treat developer warnings as errors by default in scripts
 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=975426ce

That should fix the test failures.

On 08/01/2015 04:03 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> I still think it's a bit odd that policies and message(DEPRECATED) use a
> different semantic though (ie, message(DEPRECATED) should issue a warning by
> default unless -Wno-dev is used).

...or -Wno-deprecated

That semantic change may be reasonable but is independent of the command
line options change under discussion here.  It may require a policy too.