[cmake-developers] [CMake 0015168]: incomplete builds with CMake, Make backend

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Mon Sep 22 09:48:05 EDT 2014

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                dhardy
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15168
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            sometimes
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             2014-09-22 09:48 EDT
Several times recently running 'make' has resulted in incomplete builds,
resulting in mysteriously failing unit tests or commits which at the time
appeared fine but actually contained build errors.

At least sometimes this is the result of changing "foo.h", and finding that
"bar.cpp", which indirectly imports "foo.h" does not get rebuilt whenever
touching foo.h. Running gc with -MD does correctly tell me that bar.cpp depends
on foo.h.

Steps to Reproduce:
Following these instructions you can get roughly the same set up I have. When I
try this, however, the issue is not reproduced in the new checkout. Diffing the
two build folders, I am not able to see why one should have this dependency
problem and not the other.

git clone https://code.google.com/p/openmalaria/
cd openmalaria
git checkout ccf0d9b5b292b68a284cb72d4d83f0c0c1d97fcf
mkdir build
cd build
ccmake .. # see https://code.google.com/p/openmalaria/wiki/UnixBuildOpenMalaria
for help
make -j5 # full build
touch ../include/util/DecayFunction.h
make # should rebuild interventions/Vaccine.cpp among others

Additional Information:
I have a tarball of the offending build directory for the above example, so I
may be able to provide more information given specific questions.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change