[cmake-developers] FindFreetype Maintenance

Greg Jung gvjung at gmail.com
Thu May 22 02:31:23 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Taylor Holberton <
taylorcholberton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've noticed that the FindFreetype module doesn't search standard Unix and
> Windows paths. Can I add these to the find module?
>
> As it currently stands, the module won't find Freetype in either Windows
> or Linux (despite it being installed in very standard locations). It can be
> overridden by creating an environment variable called FREETYPE_DIR, but I
> think adding a search to standard installation paths would be preferable
> for most.

Freetype include files have been found in the wild under
 include/freetype2/config (My recent mingw installation) and also
include/freetype2/freetype/config;
In the first case, current cmake Findfreetype won't ever be satisfied
because it wants
to find  "freetype/config/ftheader.h"
I think it gets built these days with the second form, with ft2build.h in
include/ and ftheader.h
under config - ft2build simply includes ftheader relative to itself.
 cmake looks for both files in the second case; it needs to find both (even
if you may not be referencing them in code).
If you are built that way you should be good (under unix only; see code
below), FREETYPE_DIR would help if you have re-located it.
I (just) found that the variable CMAKE_SYSTEM_PREFIX_PATH can be used to
guide the search;  also CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH as the documentation says.  It
worked for me when I set this variable under MSYS generator.
You can also use CMAKE_SYSTEM_INCLUDE_PATH and CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH as
environment variables.

find_path(FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_ft2build ft2build.h
  HINTS
    ENV FREETYPE_DIR
  PATHS
    /usr/X11R6
    /usr/local/X11R6
    /usr/local/X11
    /usr/freeware
    ENV GTKMM_BASEPATH
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\SOFTWARE\\gtkmm\\2.4;Path]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\gtkmm\\2.4;Path]
  PATH_SUFFIXES include/freetype2 include
)

find_path(FREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIR_freetype2 freetype/config/ftheader.h
  HINTS
    ENV FREETYPE_DIR