[cmake-developers] What about #line like feature in cmake language?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Thu May 15 04:15:29 EDT 2014

> Hi,
>
> I am planning to develop a python generator of CMakeLists.txt file for
> easier integration in an already existing tool. This approach is different
> from the others approaches consisting in binding the CMake language in a
> foreign languages. Lua, Javascript and Python have already been tried
> without success to my knowledge. Generating CMakeLists.txt files seems a
> simpler approach to me since the CMake language is very stable and it keeps
> the two projects separated. Finally it reaches the same goal since the idea
> behind binding CMake in a foreign language is too gain a more general
> purpose and feature full language with a larger standard library.
>
> To assist in such a task the CMake language could provide a command similar
> to the #line directive found in the C-pre-processor. Changing the filename
> and line number in the CMakeLists.txt file would make the generator able to
> transparently run CMake behind the scene while the errors reported by CMake
> would still refer to the generator input file written by the user.
>
> The last time I checked I could not find such a feature in CMake.

Did you check those var:
CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_DIR
CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_FILE
CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_LINE

message(STATUS "${CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_LINE}: ${CMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_FILE}
Your message")

should print the line number and filename with "Your message".

Is it the kind of feature you are looking for?

>  I am realizing that since version 3 is still under development it might be a good
> occasion to show up and mention it here. I think that it is not a big change
> to CMake and that it should not overload the maintenance process. I hope it
> is not too late for such a proposal since the 5th candidate has just been
> released.

CMake 3 is in RC process I doubt that adding new feature is possible
at this stage.

--
Erk
L'élection n'est pas la démocratie -- http://www.le-message.org