[cmake-developers] Weird dependency on object files generated elsewhere

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Thu May 8 16:40:20 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 08, 2014 at 12:34:22 -0600, James Bigler wrote:
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target
> `src/CMakeFiles/cuda_compile.dir/cuda_compile_generated_test_bin.cu.o',
> needed by `src/cuda_compile_example'.  Stop.

CMake generators will make paths relative to the build tree (I think it
is to help reduce the generated output's size).

> What I don't see in my makefiles is the build rule for the object file.

That sounds like a bug.

> I can provide a reproducer, but it would require having CUDA installed.

Please provide it :) .

Also, for the generation of the files, I don't think cuda would actually
need to be there (`ln -s /usr/bin/true ~/bin/cuda` should get you at
least that far).

--Ben