[cmake-developers] IMPORTED targets for some Find modules

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Wed Jun 25 08:49:22 EDT 2014

> I don't know what auto-linking is and why that would not interact
> well with IMPORTED targets.

Auto-linking is "header files telling the linker what libraries to link
to" (via "pragma comment lib" in the MS compilers):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-linking
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7f0aews7.aspx

I've always had to define the preprocessor symbol in boost (and I
always have to look it up, because I can't remember what it is) to
suppress auto-linking in order to get boost to work with a CMake-based
build of something that depends on boost.

Using auto-linking successfully usually involves specifying link
directories, and libraries by file name only (not full path), ...
perhaps that is one reason why it doesn't interact easily with CMake in
general.