[cmake-developers] Extracting target metadata, IDE integration

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Dec 29 16:22:53 EST 2014

On 2014-12-22 19:30, Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Anton Makeev wrote:
>> * No progress indication. Since the generation may take several minutes,
>>   providing feedback is crucial.
>
> I never found such case,

ParaView. (To a lesser extent, VTK.)

> I would argue that a project which has a cmake script that takes
> several minutes is broken, but maybe we can open a thread to discuss
> it?

Well, yes, one might argue that :-).

>> * When there are existing in-source generated files in the project dir,
>>   CMake doesn't allow generating into a separate out-of-source folder.
>>   An IDE has to invent workarounds here.
>
> Arguably, in-source generation is broken by definition...

Also, because CMake allows either a source OR BUILD directory to be
given, such a configuration is almost certainly doomed. IMO, trying to
do an out-of-source build of a source directory that already contains an
in-source build *is* broken (i.e. no "arguably" about it)... and so is
an IDE trying to work around such situation.

At most, detect the situation and nicely report the problem to the user.

--
Matthew