[cmake-developers] Minimal compiler requirements for CMake itself

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Dec 18 09:01:31 EST 2014

On 12/18/2014 08:44 AM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
>> I expected the oldest supported version of Visual Studio to be 6.0, but
>> that one fails to build CMake.
>
> IIRC 6.0 was able to build CMake up to 3.0, but then it was dropped as
> compiler to build CMake. Steven? Brad?

Support for building CMake itself with VS 6 and 7.0 (2002) was dropped
recently in 'master' and is not a requirement for future contributions.
It still builds with VS 7.1 (2003).

> I have a dashboard that builds CMake using gcc 3.4
> IIRC 2.95 is also still supported.

I don't think anyone is submitting a dashboard with 2.95 anymore.

The general answer is that contributions must build cleanly on the
compilers submitting to the nightly dashboard.

Note that some of them are not actually building CMake anymore, but
merely running the test suite to make sure targeting older compilers
still works.  These include:

- Borland 5.x
- OpenWatcom
- VS 6, 7.0

They are all testing CMake binaries built with newer compilers.