[cmake-developers] OpenBSD and srand()/rand() changes

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Sun Dec 14 08:36:08 EST 2014

David Cole wrote:
> Sounds to me like the perfect thing to just ignore till the dust settles.

Yes, this will probably take a while until this shows up in a release version
of OpenBSD. But if this is not reverted then it will probably be a good idea
to have check for this in 3.2 ready so it will just work in the next release
of OpenBSD.

> And then, after that, if there's no srand/rand on OpenBSD....... Well...
> There will be, won't there?

There will be srand()/rand() on OpenBSD. It's just that srand() will be
ignored and rand() will return really random numbers if there has not been a
call to srand_deterministic() before, which will make rand() return the same
numbers as on other platforms.

The idea behind this API in OpenBSD is: if you are looking for the pseudo
numbers you need to call srand_deterministic(), i.e. you must explicitely
state that you want the not really random random numbers. Everyone else will
get real random.

Eike