[cmake-developers] CPack BAR package generator

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 09:29:37 EDT 2013

2013/10/29 David Cole <dlrdave at aol.com>:
>> Stephen Kelly <steveire at ...> writes:
>> > Do you have any thoughts on the CPACK_PACKAGE_CONTACT problem?
>
> Namely that
>>
>> > the debian generator and the BAR generator have differing
>
> expectations on
>>
>> > what such a thing would contain. Should we have separate
>> > CPACK_PACKAGE_CONTACT_NAME and CPACK_PACKAGE_CONTACT_EMAIL
>
> variables?
>>

>> Eric, do you have any thoughts on this issue?

Sorry Steve,

But my bandwidth on the CMake/CPack front is currently so low that I can barely
follow CMake ML discussion correctly.

>> I'll soon try to revive this. See the discussion so far at:
>>
>>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/7530

I remember but I have no time to help further right now and for 3 up
to 4 weeks from now.

> What about using the typical format that contains both name and email
> address in CPACK_PACKAGE_CONTACT? Would "David Cole <DLRdave at aol.com>" work
> if used in that context for both of these generators...? Or would that make
> one of them choke?

This is OK with Debian. Note that concerning Debian, CPACK_PACKAGE_CONTACT
is used as a deafult value for CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_MAINTAINER which
is mandatory.

If ever the chosen "common" format for "CPACK_PACKAGE_CONTACT" is not suitable
as-is for filling CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_MAINTAINER we may be able to
automatically
extract the relevant bits from CPACK_PACKAGE_CONTACT in order to put appropriate
value in CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_MAINTAINER.

Currently we simply do:
# Maintainer: (mandatory)
if(NOT CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_MAINTAINER)
  if(NOT CPACK_PACKAGE_CONTACT)
    message(FATAL_ERROR "CPackDeb: Debian package requires a
maintainer for a package, set CPACK_PACKAGE_CONTACT or
CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_MAINTAINER")
  endif()
  set(CPACK_DEBIAN_PACKAGE_MAINTAINER ${CPACK_PACKAGE_CONTACT})
endif()

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2631065/what-is-the-format-of-email-header-name-email
>    http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2822#section-3.4

"David Cole <DLRdave at aol.com>" works fine as-is for .deb.
The regex shown on the Stackoverflow article is scary.

I guess CPack does not have to "validate" that.

--
Erk
L'élection n'est pas la démocratie -- http://www.le-message.org