[cmake-developers] C++11 and target_compiler_feature proposal

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 11:31:39 EDT 2013

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/6726/focus=7809

> Anyway, we agree.

Further-on, you responded:

> Why do you need to check features of a compiler not currently enabled?

>>  write_compiler_detection_header(
>>    FILE ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/grantlee_compiler_detection.h
>>    PREFIX Grantlee_
>>    FEATURES cxx_final cxx_override
>>  )
>
> Yes, though it still needs the mandatory VERSION.

I thought the VERSION would be optional and would default to
CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED_VERSION:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/6726/focus=7812

>> the generated header would look something like this:
>
> Yes.
>
> Actually it appears this header will duplicate most of the compiler
> feature
> knowledge encoded in the CMake platform modules we discussed before.  I
> wonder if we can come up with a representation that can be used to
> generate both.

Probably. However, that means that we either shouldn't use the clang
__has_feature() test that I implemented, or we'll have to duplicate all of
that information anyway.

Thanks,

Steve.