[cmake-developers] repository freeze for docs conversion (was: Converting CMake documentation to reStructuredText and Sphinx)

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Oct 15 10:33:07 EDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 09:46 AM, Brad King wrote:
> Since this topic makes sweeping changes throughout the source code
> we'll have to schedule a "flag day" on which I will freeze the
> repository and apply the permanent conversion.  Currently I plan
> for this to be just after 2.8.13 is released.

As discussed in this thread:

 Roadmap to CMake 3.0
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/8207

we've decided to perform this conversion now.  Therefore we need
to freeze development in the repository at a state that allows the
conversion to work without conflicts (logical or content).

This means there can be no open topics in 'next' that add/modify/remove
any documentation.  Currently the following topics need to be resolved:

* stage/cxx11: Adds one new module and modifies no other docs.
  I can easily handle this logical conflict by hand.  (The topic
  will be replaced by the target_compiler_feature approach anyway.)

* stage/Qt-auto-generators: Adds CMAKE_AUTORCC variable documentation.
  Also modifies CMake's own CMakeLists.txt files in ways that conflict
  with the documentation topic.  The topic still needs more manual
  review and testing.  Therefore I propose to revert it until after
  the conversion.

Please refrain from adding any new topics to 'next' until after I
announce completion of the conversion.  After conversion all new
topics will have to be started from a version of 'master' after the
conversion.