[cmake-developers] CPack install permissions on Windows

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 13:25:27 EDT 2013

I am trying to find a fix for
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=14439 (WiX: set/respect
file/directory permissions).

Currently I have the following assumptions / observations:
     - Permissions are applied to the files installed in _CPack_Packages
before a generator starts packaging
     - On windows only owner read, write and execute are being set and
all others ignored
     - The write flag when not set seems to translate to the read-only
attribute
     - The read flag can not actually be changed and is always set
     - The execute flag can not be changed either and implicitly depends
on the filetype

Does that sound about right?

For WiX the best I could come up with is translating the file owner
write flag (as returned by cmSystemTools::GetPermissions) to the
read-only attribute and ignoring all other file and directory permissions.

Does anyone have alternate ideas or suggestions?

Nils