[cmake-developers] Re: Unexpected bad status for file DOWNLOAD for http://*.xz URLs

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Fri Jul 12 16:27:57 EDT 2013

It’s a bad bad really bad idea to make the build of OpenSSL “in-house” as you’ve been calling it... CMake SHOULD use the system openssl for distributions that have one already.

If there are problems with that approach, then the problems should be addressed, but bringing a security component into “we have our own custom build of that which you must use”-land is NEVER a good idea.

Just my opinion. Feel free to flame me if I’m wrong.

I agree with your assessment that the build should produce a warning/error somewhere if CMake is built without openssl support, but I think you’ll find that a tough sell to some other important CMake devs. 😊

David C.