[cmake-developers] Should CMAKE_LINK_DEPENDS_NO_SHARED be on by default?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Feb 25 13:03:17 EST 2013

On 02/25/2013 11:46 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Brad King wrote:
>
>> If the option were to be on by default then instead there
>> should be the reverse option off by default with a name like:
>>
>>  CMAKE_LINK_DEPENDS_SHARED_LIBRARIES
>
> I implemented that but one of the dashboards already fails:
>
>  http://open.cdash.org/testDetails.php?test=178646760&build=2827189
>
> I don't know if that's just because of dirty-building, or because I extended
> the test, or because my logical change has a bug.

It is a real failure.  The problem is that on Windows the dependency
goes through the import library (.lib), not the dll.  The import
library does not get updated when the .dll is rebuilt because the
set of dllexport-ed symbols does not change.  Therefore the _relink
executable does not really need to relink.