[cmake-developers] Incomplete gfortran library link command sometimes mysteriously occurs with MinGW/MSYS on Wine-1.5.15 platform

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Oct 24 14:07:04 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Alan W. Irwin
<irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca> wrote:
> So at this point a scenario where
> that C++ compiler uses new Windows API that Wine does not implement
> properly (while MinGW sticks to more common Windows API that Wine does
> implement correctly) is looking more likely.
>
> It appears the next step on your side is for Bill is to run his expert
> eye over the details he requested for my good build tree and bad build

The "good_build_dir/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log" and
"bad_build_dir/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log" diverge on trying to parse
the "a.exe" compiled from
"CMakeFiles/CompilerIdFortran/CMakeFortranCompilerId.F".  There is a
copy of that binary in the good_build_dir.  We can isolate the part
where CMake tries to parse this file.  Place in the directory
"good_build_dir/CMakeFiles/CompilerIdFortran" the "info.cmake" shown
here:

$ cat info.cmake
file(STRINGS a.exe _strings LIMIT_COUNT 4 REGEX "INFO:")
foreach(info ${_strings})
  message(STATUS "[${info}]")
endforeach()

Then run

$ cmake -P info.cmake
-- [INFO:compiler[GNU]INFO:platform[]]

using the CMake 2.8.9 binary install.  Expected output is shown. What
is the output in your environment?  Is it reproducible over many runs?