[cmake-developers] Incomplete gfortran library link command sometimes mysteriously occurs with MinGW/MSYS on Wine-1.5.15 platform

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Oct 23 19:07:55 EDT 2012

On 2012-10-23 17:41-0400 David Cole wrote:

> Short update:
>  - I ran the script Alan sent me on a "real" Windows 7 machine, and
> didnot reproduce the problem while using the pre-built binary install
> of CMake 2.8.9

Thanks, David, for running that test which appears to rule out a
compiler bug (for whatever C++ compiler was used to build the
pre-built binary of CMake-2.8.9).  So at this point a scenario where
that C++ compiler uses new Windows API that Wine does not implement
properly (while MinGW sticks to more common Windows API that Wine does
implement correctly) is looking more likely.

It appears the next step on your side is for Bill is to run his expert
eye over the details he requested for my good build tree and bad build
tree. He has just requested those details for the second time (which I
just sent for the second time), and hopefully they will actually reach
him this time.  My guess is he will also want to compare those results
with your own "good" build tree for the same test case.

Meanwhile, I am going to attempt to repeat all my good PLplot, ephcom,
and te_gen tests here using MinGW/gcc-version 4.7.0 (the version you
get if you use the latest MinGW automatic installer and you request
updates to the precanned versions).  These tests, of course, will be
for cmake bootstrapped with the MinGW/gcc-version 4.7.0. The
motivation for these additional tests is to future-proof my results
(i.e., make sure MinGW version is not critical to my recent success on
the MinGW/MSYS/Wine platform).  These tests if successful should also
help to reduce concerns that there is any memory management issues in
the CMake-2.8.9 source code.  Of course, I will also try the same
canned test you tried for this new MinGW version both for the
bootstrapped CMake and the downloaded Windows binary version of CMake,
but my expectation is the result will be the same (bootstrapped CMake
generates the correct Fortran link command while the downloaded
Windows binary version does not).  But we will see.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin