[cmake-developers] Generator expressisons in target properties (was Re: conditionals in generator expressions)

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Oct 23 10:25:35 EDT 2012

On 10/23/2012 10:15 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Something like this, yes.  It may be really nasty to know when to
>> trigger the policy because we need to know whether the project loads
>> its own export() output.
>
> One way would be for include() and find_package() to query the global
> generator to find if a makefile has a cmExportBuildGenerator which outputs
> the argument (add a GetMainImportFile). Apart from those two commands, are
> there other ways of using an export()ed file as input at configure-time?

I think ReadListFile would be the place to put in a hook like that.
It can help report when it loads a file generated by something else
earlier in the configuration process.

There are good reasons to delay export() until generate time regardless
of what other features it enables.  Please try to work this out as an
independent topic first.  Then you can base the additional genex work
on it but we can merge it separately depending on timing for the next
release.