[cmake-developers] I: I want to become a maintainer of several modules.

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Oct 5 17:13:44 EDT 2012

On 2012-10-05 13:06-0400 Brad King wrote:

> The output parsing can be a bit simpler if you use the CMAKE_MATCH_1
> variable result from the "if(... MATCHES ...)" command.  It is
> mentioned at the bottom of the regex documentation in string():
>
> http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/v2.8.9/cmake.html#command:string

Hi Brad:

I was just looking over that documentation (obtained with
--help--full for CMake-2.8.9) when I spotted this
line which seemed to be problematic to me

   -        Matches any character in range on either side of a dash

I assume this is meant to refer to regex bracket expressions such as
"[0-9]".  If so, some reference to square brackets should be included
so that regex newbies don't attempt to treat the "-" character like
the "+" character which can appear outside square brackets. Here is
one alternative to the above that addresses that issue:

   -        Matches any character in range on either side of a dash
within square brackets, e.g.,
[abcx-z] matches "a", "b", "c", "x", "y", or "z", as does [a-cx-z]

(I took that example from the Wikipedia article on regular expressions).

But I am sure (from past experience) you will figure out something
shorter that still gets the idea across that - can only appear within
brackets.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin