[cmake-developers] The lib64 case

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Mon Mar 26 13:35:41 EDT 2012

Brad King wrote:
> On 3/26/2012 11:49 AM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> > Thanks, fixed. And added a patch that removes this in a bunch of other
> > modules.
> Nice.  Looks good so far.  I noticed in the context of some of your
> changes lines like
>
>   /usr/local/lib/fltk2
>   /usr/lib/fltk2
>
> This pattern can be replaced by
>
>   PATH_SUFFIXES fltk2
>
> to work for all prefixes automatically.

Well, that is in fact an interesting question. If "/usr" is in the default
paths list and "lib" is a default suffix, will specifying "fltk2" as suffix
result in /usr, /usr/lib, and /usr/fltk2, or will also /usr/lib/fltk2 be
searched. The latter would mean that the default and specified suffixes are
different lists, so specifying lib again there should in theory also search in
lib/lib. Or should the suffix be lib/fltk2 instead to work as expected?

Even if it is documented what happens when some options are set, I think the
number possibilities that find_library() and find_path() may work is
confusing. Especially for someone who is new to CMake. Although I have no
ideas how, I think someone explaining in the documentation what happens in
this function with less words could be of great use.

Eike