[cmake-developers] Ninja windows

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Fri Mar 9 13:51:57 EST 2012

On 09.03.2012 10:40, Nicolas Desprès wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 3:24 AM, Peter Collingbourne<peter at pcc.me.uk>  wrote:

>>> OK, so is there a ninja binary that I can download right now that will
>>> work if I change the cmake files for cmake to build the ninja generator
>>> on windows?  If so, where is it?  My idea is to try it on my machine. If
>>> it works I will push the change into next that enables ninja on windows
>>> and setup a dashboard that pulls ninja from that spot each night. When
>>> cmake is changed to work with master ninja if someone updates that
>>> binary, then it will pull that and just work.  That is what I have been
>>> doing with jom.
>>
>> That would be Peter Kummel's ninja.  But what I would suggest we do,
>> as I suggested before, is to use an internal variable to turn on the
>> Ninja generator on Windows and Mac.  This way, we can safely merge
>> ninja-generator into master without confusing users on Windows or
>> Mac by shipping a non-working Ninja generator in the next release,
>> while keeping the ability to test (on the dashboard and otherwise).
>> I have no idea what the timeframe for the Windows and Mac people
>> is, but I really would like the Ninja generator to be available on
>> non-Windows/Mac platforms in 2.8.8.
>
> Sounds fair enough.

Yes, please enable the ninja generator for Linux in 2.8.8. I don't
think I will fix the cmake-windows support soon and don't know if
there is anyone else working on it.

Maybe having ninja support on Linux attracts interested people
also on the other platforms.

(and I assume Peter C. gets really annoyed if the ninja support
will be postponed again)

Peter