[cmake-developers] Ninja windows

Peter Collingbourne peter at pcc.me.uk
Thu Mar 8 21:24:20 EST 2012

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 03:56:24PM -0500, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> On 3/6/2012 1:29 PM, Peter Collingbourne wrote:
>
>> We can certainly do that, but the ninja binary would need to be
>> switched as soon as we get around to using rspfile in Ninja (and
>> no sooner).
>>

> OK, so is there a ninja binary that I can download right now that will
> work if I change the cmake files for cmake to build the ninja generator
> on windows?  If so, where is it?  My idea is to try it on my machine. If
> it works I will push the change into next that enables ninja on windows
> and setup a dashboard that pulls ninja from that spot each night. When
> cmake is changed to work with master ninja if someone updates that
> binary, then it will pull that and just work.  That is what I have been
> doing with jom.

That would be Peter Kummel's ninja.  But what I would suggest we do,
as I suggested before, is to use an internal variable to turn on the
Ninja generator on Windows and Mac.  This way, we can safely merge
ninja-generator into master without confusing users on Windows or
Mac by shipping a non-working Ninja generator in the next release,
while keeping the ability to test (on the dashboard and otherwise).
I have no idea what the timeframe for the Windows and Mac people
is, but I really would like the Ninja generator to be available on
non-Windows/Mac platforms in 2.8.8.

Peter