[cmake-developers] Ninja windows

Peter Collingbourne peter at pcc.me.uk
Tue Mar 6 12:17:45 EST 2012

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 11:44:46AM -0500, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> What is the current status of ninja windows?  I would like to setup a
> dashboard for this, however, the ninja code for windows does not seem to
> be on the stage for CMake right now.   Is there a way to get it on the
> stage?  Or is it too far from being useful to be on the stage at this
> point?

The Ninja generator is disabled on Windows as it still doesn't yet
work correctly with Ninja's master branch.  It works to some degree
with someone else's branch, but one of the required features on that
branch (response file support) was recently merged into Ninja master,
so hopefully someone on Windows will be able to add the necessary
support to CMake soon.  I would hold off on setting up a dashboard
for Windows until we can at least build CMake with Ninja master.

I have been asking Windows developers to enable the generator locally
for their own development by commenting out the IF(NOT WIN32) block.
Perhaps once we set up Windows dashboards it would be better to
introduce an internal variable (CMAKE_USE_NINJA?) which can be used
to enable this generator on Windows, and have the dashboards use it.

Peter