[cmake-developers] Improving OpenSSL version support

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Jan 13 09:36:57 EST 2012

On 1/12/2012 5:47 PM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> But I'm not going to add support for things older than 0.9.6, this
> stuff is ancient.

Okay, thanks.

>> Also, the examples given in the header are confusing because they
>> leave out the patch level from the string.  I think the patch level
>> can be included as a fourth component in our OPENSSL_VERSION var.
>
> Hm?
>   * 0.9.3a         0x0090301f
>   * 0.9.4          0x0090400f
>   * 1.2.3z         0x102031af

The format is specified as

   MNNFFPPS

where

   M  = Major   NN = Minor   FF = Fix  PP = Patch  S  = Status

The example 0x0090301f matches up to that as

   M  = 0   NN = 09  FF = 03  PP = 01  S  = f

which should be

   0.9.3.1f

The example with "z" in it makes no sense at all given the explanation
right above it:

  * The status nibble has one of the values 0 for development, 1 to e for betas
  * 1 to 14, and f for release.  The patch level is exactly that.

The explanation you give in your new commit on the topic is more coherent.
Where did you get it that information?