[cmake-developers] Making GUI applications by default

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 19:33:55 EST 2012

Hi there,

Also in this thread one of the discussion topics was making CMake default to
creating Gui-ready executables. That is, setting the WIN32_EXECUTABLE or
MACOSX_BUNDLE property on the executable target.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.buildsystem/6961/focus=7005

By default CMake does not set those properties, which is actually uncommon.
Generally in KDE at least, only unit tests and some small utilities are non-
gui executables.

We'd like to be able to specify with a defaultProperty something like

set(CMAKE_CREATE_GUI_EXECUTABLES ON)

which would set those target properties to True on the Windows and Mac
platforms by default. For unit tests, we could then disable it again.

Thoughts/comments?

Thanks,

Steve.