[cmake-developers] target_include_directories branch in stage

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Feb 9 15:45:00 EST 2012

On Monday 30 January 2012, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> David Cole wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Stephen Kelly
> >
> > <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> No objections. They all seem fine.
> >
> > Great, thanks.

> >> The 3 following 073bc421620e25fef6389b0d8b71cfad8ca79786 (CMake:
> >> Eliminate cmMakefile::IncludeDirectories) seem to have been
> >> substantially re-written. I'm not sure what is the appropriate way to
> >> deal with commits like that, but whatever you choose for the author
> >> line is fine.
> >
> > So I guess the question is: if somebody looks up the author at some
> > point in the future and comes asking a question, do you want to be the
> > one they go to, or would you rather have them come to me? ;-) If you
> > want to send them to me, I'll change the author line, but you
> > certainly deserve the credit for getting the ball rolling on this
> > topic.
>
> Ok, let's leave it as-is and I'll take responsibility (blame/credit) :)
>
> <snip>

> Still pending.

Sorry that it took so long, I was really busy the last few weeks.

I cloned this repo: git clone https://github.com/dlrdave/CMake.git

Both the Eclipse generator and cmake --find-package work fine.

Just to make completely sure: the purpose of this target property is *not*
that targets linking against a library with this property set should reuse
these include dirs, right ?

Nevertheless, did you already think about how the interface for such a feature
could look like (to make sure it fits with this new target property) ?
Maybe something like this ?
set_target_properties(... PROPERTIES
                          INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES a/ b/ c/
                          PUBLIC_BUILD_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES d/ e/ f/
                          PUBLIC_INSTALL_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES g/ h/ i/ )

It would have to be possible to separate between include dirs to be used at
build time of the library, and include dirs to be used once the library has
been installed (similar to the build and install RPATH)

...just to make sure the syntax for the new INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES property is ok
and doesn't make problems later on.

Alex