[cmake-developers] ninja bug

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Apr 19 10:21:15 EDT 2012

On 4/19/2012 4:16 AM, Nicolas Desprès wrote:
> That's possible indeed. There are discussions whether to support all
> compilers deps file formats inside Ninja or in another program (see
> the deplist branch and discussion thread). The deplist branch is an
> attempt to provide a common format to store the dependencies in a
> fast-to-parse format.
>
> Currently, it is not merged yet and Ninja still relies on its own
> parser which is probably not bug free and does not have all the
> work-around required for all compilers versions.
So, should I post this issue on the ninja list?

I am also wondering if we could create a cmake depend generator for
ninja.  Then if the compiler did not support -M in a format that ninja
likes, it could fall back to the cmake version.  It would be interesting
if we could do it at a target level so that it would work better one
windows which does not handle lots of small .d files.  (CMake gave up on
a .d file per file because of this problem on windows).

-Bill