[cmake-developers] slow regex implementation in RegularExpression

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Nov 16 15:50:58 EST 2011

A little off topic, but I am wondering if the ctest performance issue
for xcode could be fixed without changing the regex.  The problem with
xcode is that it spits out very verbose output.  I am wondering if some
short circuit stuff could be put in place.  Maybe do a string compare of
the first bit of every line that look for stuff that could not have an
error in it, and only if it might have an error, do we pass it to the
regex call.  Basically, if we could reduce the amount of data going into
the regex stuff, it should work as well as it does for other compilers.
  The place that this code could go is into cmakexbuild.cxx which
already strips out all lines that start with setenv.  Maybe even some
hard coded stuff that looks for errors and only puts those out.  i.e.
only output lines from cmakexbuild.cxx if there are errors.

-Bill