[cmake-developers] Better Eclipse CDT support

Oliver Buchtala oliver.buchtala at jku.at
Fri Apr 29 09:24:37 EDT 2011

Am 29.04.2011 09:49, schrieb Eric Noulard:
> 2011/4/29 Oliver Buchtala <oliver.buchtala at jku.at>:
>> As described before, I added links to the (main) project's source and
>> build folder.
>> You enable this with -DCDT_LINK_MAIN_SOURCE_FOLDERS=ON.
>>
>> For that to work properly, I strongly recommend to use Eclipse 3.7 M6 +
>> CDT 8.0.
>>
>> @Alex: is there a way to provide --help assistance concerning such
>> parameters with extra-generators?
> Hi guys,
>
> Just stepping in to say that documenting generator-specifics features
> is an issue
> CPack has as well. Read discussion on that topic here:
>
> Currently I tried to put generator-specific doc. in CPack<GenName>.cmake file
> such that
>
> cmake --help-module  CPack<GenName>
>
> will display the doc.
>
> the idea in the end would be to have
>
> cpack --help-generator <GenName> use the same mechanism to display the doc.
>
> may be we can design some "unified" way to documents such things for
> CMake/CPack/CTests.
>
> I know there are some (huge) bits of doc burried into the C++ code too but
> having a way to write some doc in separate files makes it easier to
> enhance the doc.
>
> Just throwing some ideas here.

Hi Eric,

thanks for your hint. I also vote for a unified approach.

Personally, I think the doc for built-ins should reside in the source:
no cluttering, and more uniqueness.
But your suggestion is also reasonable.
Would be awesome, if the doc could be taken from a comment block in the
source file.
Then it would be local and readable. But this is probably too difficult
to achieve.

Bye,
Oliver