[cmake-developers] User vs CMake include mismatch handling

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Oct 13 14:20:58 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 12 October 2010, David Cole wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:

> > releases and will get us through this CMake rc cycle safely.  Future
> > enhancements to FPHSA2 may need yet another new module, but I think
> > that is in the nature of this particular function.
> >
> > -Brad
>
> I really think a second function is the way to go here. It is the least
> risky and maintains full compatibility with existing module overrides. It
> does not have to be named FPHSA2 (I am not a big fan of "2" named
> functions...) but I do think it needs to be a newly-named function, and
> keep the old function as is.
>
> We can come up with better solutions moving forward, but for now, to keep
> *everything* working well without breaking anything *else*... I think a
> second function is our only realistic option.

No, it's not.
Using the full path (as already _completely done_ in the
AddCMAKE_CURRENT_LIST_DIR branch) is 100% safe now and in future cmake
releases.
Adding FPHSA2.cmake now in 2.8.3 is safe now, but not as soon as new features
are added to it in 2.8.4 or later versions.
Projects will have copies of it and it can break just the same way then.

What am I missing here ?
Where is the risk (or any problem) when using the full path ?
I don't understand the argumentation.

FYI, kdelibs 4.5.2 (released 2 weeks ago) has the full-featured FPHSA.cmake,
so this one will be compatible with 2.8.3, but I think no matter what we
decide for now, 4.5.2 could be ignored if it stays the only release which may
have some oddity.

Alex