[cmake-developers] User vs CMake include mismatch handling

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Oct 8 12:20:42 EDT 2010

On Friday 08 October 2010, David Cole wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>wrote:
> > Better idea:
> >
> > I'll add a policy which switches this behaviour (prefer CMAKE_ROOT over
> > CMAKE_MODULE_PATH when used from within CMAKE_ROOT), and this policy
> > will, as all other policies, default to the old behaviour, but warn.
> This latest idea does sound better, but I am still not a fan of "invisible
> / magic behavior." I much prefer when things are explicitly spelled out.

Me definitely too.
But I think in this case it will actually be easier to understand with the new
behaviour.
I had to think twice to understand what happened: it went into CMAKE_ROOT, but
from there due to CMAKE_MODULE_PATH "magic" ;-) again out of it.
I also think the comparison to RPATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH is a good one in this
case, and all OSs do have an RPATH to express such dependencies (or
equivalent, for Windows it's the current dir).

Alex