[cmake-developers] red on style dashboard

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Mon Nov 15 15:36:37 EST 2010

On 11/15/2010 3:17 PM, Eric Noulard wrote:
> 2010/11/15 Bill Hoffman<bill.hoffman at kitware.com>:
>> Folks, there is some red on the dashboard here:
>>
>> http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewBuildError.php?buildid=773620
>
> My bad.
> The fix has been commited to stage and fast-forwarded to next.
>
>> If you make a commit, please be sure to check the dashboard the next day,
>> and if there are issue, fix them the next day.  Basically, stuff should not
>> stay broken on the nightly more than one night.  Ideally, stuff will get
>> caught and fixed during the continuous. If the error does show up on the
>> continuous,  it should not show up in a nightly.
>
> Ok Bill,
>
> I'll try to do that.
> Two remarks on this issue:
>
> 1) Wouldn't it be possible for CDash to alert the Commiter AND the Author?
>      I say that because may be the commiter is not the appropriate one
>      because of the local->stage->next steps. However the Author from
>      git log seems to be good.
>
>      Shall I file a feature request on CDash?
>      Did I miss something?
>      I'm subscribing to the CMake Dashboard and didn't get any e-mail alert
>      of my breakage.

We are working on this "issue".  Some of the CMake dashboards still pull
from CVS and get the names wrong.  For now, just keep an eye on the
dashboard.  I do think there are some email issues with CDash right now..

> 2) The current breakage concerned the 79 columns limit,
>      is this limit un-upgradable to something more reasonable now that
>      80 columns VT100 are not that common anymore?
>      I did a lot of fixed source fortran in the past but I'd like not be
>      bothered with this anymore.
>
>     I'm not requesting 180 columns but may be something like 100 would be
>     even easier to read with current indentation scheme and method names?

No, I like the 79 col limit.   There are still times when a terminal
window is used (default git bash on windows, default xterm, and others).
When you do a diff in these windows it looks much nicer when the lines
are limited to 79.

-Bill