[cmake-developers] Failing HTML (xmllint) test in the CMake dashboard results...

Michael Wild themiwi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 10:11:20 EDT 2010

On 11/02/2010 01:25 PM, Bill Hoffman wrote:
> On 11/2/2010 4:16 AM, Michael Wild wrote:
>
>>> David Cole
>>
>> Looks like w3c has had enough of the excessive traffic (although the
>> post is back from 2008):
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/02/08/w3c_s_excessive_dtd_traffic
>>

> Odd thing is, it fails all the time.  If you run xmllint from the
> command line, it always fails now.  It is very consistent.  It does not
> act like an overloaded server.
>
>> A solution might be to ship your own copy of the DTD and the entity
>> files (xhtml1-strict.dtd, xhtml-lat1.ent, xhtml-special.ent and
>> xhtml-symbol.ent), just for the purpose of testing. You could then set
>> XML_CATALOG_FILES to some xml-catalog containing something like this:
>>
>> <?xml version='1.0'?>
>> <!DOCTYPE catalog PUBLIC "-//GlobalTransCorp//DTD XML Catalogs
>> V1.0-Based Extension V1.0//EN"
>>      "http://globaltranscorp.org/oasis/catalog/xml/tr9401.dtd">
>>
>> <catalog xmlns="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:xml:catalog"
>>           xmlns:soc="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:tr9401:catalog"
>>           xmlns:unk="urn:oasis:names:tc:entity:xmlns:unknown"
>>           >
>> <group prefer="public">
>> <public publicId="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>>    uri="xhtml1-strict.dtd"/>
>> </group>
>> </catalog>
>>
>> I just tried it and it seems to work on my machine.
>>
> Sure, I suppose we could do that. Would be interesting to figure out
> what happened...
>
> -Bill

Seems like W3C is now requiring the User-Agent header, otherwise you get
a 403 response. Using wireshark I found that xmllint doesn't send a
User-Agent identification, and gets rejected. If I use wget and tell it
to suppress the User-Agent header I also get the same result:

$ wget --user-agent="" http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
- --2010-11-02 15:06:52--  http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd
Resolving www.w3.org... 128.30.52.37
Connecting to www.w3.org|128.30.52.37|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2010-11-02 15:06:53 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

The same works fine when using the default options.

Michael