[cmake-developers] Pushing to next and closing bugs?

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 02:45:01 EDT 2010

2010/7/5 Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com>:>
> So, although not perfect, I prefer to close the bug when it is checked in to
> next.   My reason is that we have wayyyy too many bugs open as it is.  I
> don't want to have to wait on the reporter to close it, as often times they
> have lost interest and gone away never to come back anyway. They can always
> reopen it as they often do.

Ok then, may be setting the bug to resolved when in next
and close it when merged in master would be better?
That way the Reporter may get a chance to confirm the fix is OK and
we are sure that if ever the next-->master switch does not occur
(for any reason) we do not claim to have fixed the bug if it is not in
any release.
That way the closing message on the tracker may be "Fixed since x.y.z"

> There is no better way to get someone to look
> at a bug than to claim it is all fixed, and you have closed the issue.   If
> they care at all, they usually try it.

May be the default behavior of mantis may be changed to help a little bit.
I'm admin of 2 other open source projects (but not generating as many
traffic as CMake though)
and the default behavior of ALL trackers is to automatically send an
e-mail to any of those person:
   1- the reporter
   2- anyone who has put a comment
   3- the assignee
   4- selected and volunteering admin

With 1,2,3  if ever a bug is there for ages the reporter will get a
follow-up even
if he may have forgotten he reported the bug in the first place.
Usually the assignee
is putting an explicit message requesting testing when he checked-in the fix.
With 4 almost no bugs gets unoticed (but this systematic notif can be
a pain for high traffic trackers)

I try to "monitor" all bug on the CMake mantis tracker I'm interested
in, however
for the bug I reported and/or the ones I did put comment I'd rather let mantis
add me automatically to the monitor list.

If I don't want to monitor a bug I was involved in initially I can
always voluntarily
switch off monitoring.

I think the scheme is good for any "users" but a limited set of admin/developers
(the one who tend to comment on many bugs) who will gets a lot more messages.

I did never install a Mantis BT but it looks like (from
http://docs.mantisbt.org/master/en/administration_guide.pdf)

$g_default_notify_flags
and
$g_notify_flags

may be used to tune the e-mail notification.
It looks like you can even tune to send a message depending on the
status switch:
http://docs.mantisbt.org/master/en/administration_guide.html#ADMIN.CUSTOMIZE.EMAIL
thus adding the notif when the bug gets "resolved" may be enough.

Last but not least, may be the Assignee may have the authorization to
add someone
to the monitor list? This is may looks as an open door to SPAM but
since Assignee must logged
for this kind of action the risk may be low.

--
Erk
http://www.april.org