[cmake-developers] Pushing to next and closing bugs?

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Jul 5 13:32:03 EDT 2010

We don't really have a well-defined procedure that everybody follows w.r.t.
resolving/closing bugs in the bug database.

I typically just add a note when I push a change to 'next', saying that it
is in next, and then go back to resolve the bug when it is merged to master.

For example, see this one:

It is probably a good idea (although I didn't do it in the above example) to
mention the git commit hash in your bug tracker note when claiming that
something is fixed. That way, somebody investigating later can look at that
commit and see whether it made it into master, or a given CMake release...

Personally, I don't like the idea of the bug fixer "closing" the bug.
Marking it as "resolved" is entirely appropriate for the fixer of a bug...
but it should be verified as fixed by the person who reported it, who should
then mark the bug as closed.

You start to get into conflict of interest territory when the person fixing
the bug also has responsibility for declaring it "case closed." And I
realize that with an open source project, and shared community effort,
"responsibility" is a vague notion anyhow. But it would be good to develop
some guidelines for the bug tracker that we all as a community agree to
follow....

Maybe some more discussion here is warranted before we decide exactly what
to put on the wiki.

Does this answer your question at all...? :-)

David C.