[cmake-developers] How to fix a commit to next?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Aug 31 08:31:26 EDT 2010

On 08/30/2010 09:07 PM, Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva wrote:
> ...o----o  master
> .       \
>  .       o----o----o  topic
>   .            \    \
>    ...o----o----o----o *next, origin/next

Perfect.

> Is this what should be done in such cases?

Yes.

> Is there a way to signal the first merge to next as one that
> should not be merged to master?

Email notification to this list is a good way.  Also, we only
merge the latest head of each topic already in next into master.
What becomes reachable from master only shows the single path:

 ...o----o-----...-----o  master
   .       o----o----o  topic

FYI, you can use the CMake Topic Stage

  http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git#Topic_Stage

to merge to next for you.  We use it to keep track of topic
heads that are not yet in master.  After it merges to next the
topic branch sticks around on the stage until we merge to master.
Even for merges that contributors have been pushing directly to
next I've been manually adding stage branches for them to make
our merges to master easier.