[cmake-developers] CPack API redesign

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Aug 11 18:25:47 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/8/11 David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com>:
> > On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Eric Noulard <eric.noulard at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Noted, thank you for fixing my mistakes :-)
> >>
> >> However,
> >>
> >> I usually take care of warnings (some of them may be harmful)
> >> so I'm pretty I didn't have those.
> >>
> >> Did you get those warnings with MSVC or did any version  of gcc
> >> provide the same warnings ?
> >
> > The warnings Brad fixed showed up on the Continuous dashboard for CMake
> > here:
> >
> http://www.cdash.org/CDash/index.php?project=CMake&date=2010-08-11#Continuous
> > The flags used on that machine (older gcc running on Mac OSX 10.3 believe
> it
> > or not) are:
> >
> > CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=-g -O0 -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wunused-variable
> > -Wunused-parameter -Wunused-function -Wunused -Wno-system-headers
> > -Wno-deprecated -Woverloaded-virtual
> > CMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING=-g -O0 -Wall -W
>
> It explains a lot
>
> mine (default configuration of CMake source) were:
> CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=
> CMAKE_C_FLAGS:STRING=
>
> Is there a reason why those flags are not the default when building with
> gcc ?
>
> Secondary question is:
>
>  - I am subscribed (all e-mail category) to the CMake dashboard but
> didn't received any mail?
>  - my e-mail preference says: "Email me when my checkins are breaking
> the dashboard"
>
> The commit that broke the build was mine:
>
> http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commit;h=cd7b8a03f5403603da44432470f177601b5bf42b
> but the commiter was Brad.
>
> Is this the reason I did not receive the mail myself?
>
> If yes, would it be possible to have an option to send an e-mail to
> both the commiter AND the author?

Yes, that's the reason. It would be possible, but it is not yet implemented
in the CDash code base.

A more general feature of "notify me whenever XXX email is breaking the
dashboard" and then allowing people to associate multiple emails of interest
with their user account is probably the one that makes the most sense. And
then, in addition, paying attention to both the author and the committer for
git commits to trigger the emails. Right now, it is only the committer that
would receive the emails, not the author.

This is all future-work-to-be-done in CDash, though. It is only existing as
ideas in our heads at this point in time...

HTH,
David