[cmake-developers] [CMake] Support for multiple components in cpack

Clinton Stimpson clinton at elemtech.com
Mon Aug 2 11:04:48 EDT 2010

On 08/02/2010 08:22 AM, Clinton Stimpson wrote:
> On Aug 2, 2010, at 5:29 AM, Eric Noulard wrote:
>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> I did add a patch for the "multiple file problem"
>> http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=10736
>>
>> May be interested people can have a try and comment
>> this patch.
>>
>> It adds the possibility  for any CPack generators to generate multiple file.
>> It adds "preliminary" support for component to all "Archive Generators"
>> (ZIP, TGZ, STGZ etc...) as an example of use.
>>
>> The change is "backward compatible" in the sense that if
>> all CPack generators (but the archive one) behaves as before
>> with either componentized  project or not.
>>
>> Waiting for feedback before going on
>>
> So I wondered if we were basically getting 3 modes out of this:
>
> 1. put multiple components in one components aware package (nsis, packagemaker,...).
> 2. put multiple components in one non-component aware package (tar.gz, .zip...).
> 3. put multiple components in multiple packages (all cpack generators).
>
> And how does one choose the behavior they want?

Also, I wondered if one could choose which components they want to go in
the package for #2, and which components go into which packages in #3.
Right now, there is no choice in #2.  Also, for #3, would I be able to
choose to have 2 required components in one .tar.gz, and each optional
component in their own tar.gz file.

I also saw in the patch that the multi-filenames were being pushed up
into the generators.  I wondered if some component logic and filenames
can remain in the base class, and generator subclass functions called
multiple times for each file with a list of components to include.  It
seems that would also be a step towards fixing
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=10130.

But I'm sure you had some thoughts too, and maybe a different way to
include functionality I'm hoping for.

Thanks,
Clint